Thursday 23 February 2012

New Orleans Square: Cafe Orleans

Happy Mardi Gras everyone! [Er....day after Mardi Gras!]

For me Mardi Gras is a big thing, don't ask me why, it just is. Last year I made myself a giant Mardi Gras feast of jambalaya, gumbo, fruit salad, cornbread, mint juleps, and King Cake. This year I had planned to do the same while also during the day attend the Disneyland Bayou Bash. So I took the day off. Then my friend told me she was coming down to play in the parks on that same day so I changed my plans a bit.

For lunch, we went to Cafe Orleans and sat outside so we could listen to the Bayou Bash that was going on around us.

To drink I, of course, got a mint julep, and my friend tried her first Disneyland mint julep when she had a sip of mine. She didn’t like it much. For lunch there were two Mardi Gras specials and the snapper sounded delicious but ever since I saw something listed on my gluten free list I just had to try it. So I had to get the N'awlins Vegetable Ragout.


For an additional $2, I believe, I got it with blackened chicken. You could also add salmon instead of chicken or no meat at all.

It was really, really delicious. One of the best things I've reviewed thus far. The sauce was spicy which is how I like it and the chicken was moist. I didn't like the shaved cheese that much on top but there wasn't much of it so I placed it to the side. The only thing I was iffy about were the two yellow cakes, but they were polenta cakes with corn kernels in it and lots of cheese. It was amazing and seasoned perfectly. The spicy ragout balanced the sweetness of the cakes and the flavours melded together to truly give you a taste of New Orleans. The actual vegetable part was good but in comparison to the sauce there wasn't that much of it, so it could use some more vegetables.

And here is what my friend and I did after lunch:






We actually had a conversation about my name being 'Charlotte'! Best Mardi Gras ever!








-Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment